Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Mahi Mahi tacos, redux

We enjoyed our fish tacos so much, we are having them again. Tonight my brother and his lady will be joining us for dinner. Once they have tasted our fantastic tacos they will surely be impressed!
In addition to having the corn salsa tonight (I think I will add some black beans this time!) I am going to make a chili verde sauce. What is chili verde, you ask? I believe, it is Spanish for green chile sauce. (Yup, I'm bilingual. Pretty awesome, eh?) This recipe consists of tomatillos (they look similar to green tomatoes, with papery husks), garlic, jalapeno and cilantro. Remove the papery husks from the tomatillos. You will notice the skin is a bit sticky, so I like to rinse them first in soapy water then in clean water. Next put halved tomatillos (about 1 pound) and 1 halved jalapeno, skin side up, on a cookie sheet and under the broiler set on high. Cook them until the skins blacken. This should take anywhere from 5-10 minutes, depending on the oven. Carefully put the hot tomatillos, pepper and any liquid that has accumulated in a blender, with about 1 handful of cilantro leaves, tender stems, 1 teaspoon minced garlic and puree. Don't forget to salt! Your chili verde sauce should be lovely green, with a tart peppery flavor.
I like to serve this sauce along side the corn salsa, or any chunky salsa because of the contrast in flavors and textures. It is excellent with fish because the tartness of the tomatillo is like a squeeze of lime or lemon! This tomatillo sauce is not just for tacos. Serve with chips, nachos, quesadillos, you get the point. Serve with chili rubbed flank steak or grilled chicken breasts. I also use this sauce as the base for my pork chili verde, which is another delectable dish. But I will save that for another day. I hope this finds you well and food inspired!I hope you have a fantastic Tuesday afternoon!

1 comment:

  1. yum... wish we were coming for dinner, and yes, I am inspired!!! xo

    ReplyDelete